PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC-8-4 in landing accident @ CYEG
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2014, 20:06
Bell212noise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was on this particular flight and can def clear up how i watched the incident play out from my seat. Which happend to be 6F one row in front of where the prop came through the cabin. I am a Heli pilot so I dont have much knowledge to fixed wing emergency procedures. Yes on take off from YYC right before the roll i was awoken to a large bang and then some violent shaking through the AC. The pilots did the right thing got us in the air asap i am sure at that point if we had not the end of the runway was coming up soon. About 10 mins into the flight the captain told everyone we blew a tire and that it was no emergency and that plane can land no problem in Edmonton. This is where I am kind of curious as to why we weren't briefed on emergency procedures by flight crew or as you guy have mentioned cleared of the rows next to the prop. Not that it would have done any good as the plane was full of pax. I also and wondering why we didnt choose to burn off any fuel to reduce the gross weight of AC as we were full of PAX luggage and I am assuming enough fuel to make it to Grande Prairie. I was also surprised to not see the captain or co pilot come back to check on the gear and tire. I did see stewards try to see if we had a tire. Clearly we did but it had a large piece missing from the back side of it.

long story short plane descended and pilot put us down very slowly and smooth. Unfortunately this is where it gets a bit crazy once the weight of the plane was put on the gear the large vibration from the blown tire shook the plane violently then the gear collapsed. As the same time i was hit with pieces of the AC as the prop had blown out the area behind my head and also my window. at that point all i could see was sparks and ducked for cover.

to be honest I think the pilot did well to keep the AC on the tarmac and not the ditch but I am concerned about how the emergency was handled before we got to that point