PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 C first deck landing
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2014, 17:28
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KenV,

Thanks for coming back - perhaps I can help a bit more.

1. No space between the canopy sections. The two bits are effectively fused - I don 't know how.
2. Reflections/scattering - all extensively tested before the design was ever approved. No issues as far as I know.
3. Yes, that's the idea - thicker section provides the protection, aft section thinner to save weight and facilitate ejection.
4. Haven't seen mirrors yet - quite probably the aircrew will rely on the DAS system which provides a 360 bubble view in the HUD.

On the shape of the canopy, a key driver on F-35 is signature. The canopy effectively continues the shape of the fuselage, and from a signature standpoint, is effectively 'one with the aircraft'. The shaping of the fuselage and the canopy is similar in cross section to the design used by the F-22.

Extensive field of view diagrams were provided to all users early on, and checked on several occasions, all the way from early sim sessions through mockups to actual build. One thing I would say is that the cockpit is very wide, and the cockpit sill is very low. Both of these help with visibility. It's not an F-16 canopy, nor a Typhoon - but pilots I know who have flown the F-35 have told me that the view is Ok.

By the way, 'bubble' canopies provide a great view, but they do add drag. The AV-8B took the concept to what I consider to be an extreme, with a very large 'overhang' and a high canopy, that took around 50 knots off the max speed.

Like you say, all designs involve trades, and the F-35's are complicated by signature and other factors. They're always interesting.

Best regards as ever to those making the choices for real,

Engines