PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Galactic Tech
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2014, 17:19
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
unplanned test pilot flights

Oh yeah, the aerobatic pilot's famous inverted approach and crash.

As with me on my Viper leading edge flap failure ride, you have to remain as calm as possible and see what works and what doesn't. But you don't have a minute, or even a few seconds in some cases. As with the aerobatic dude, I was flying fast enough to have a small degree of roll control and plenty of yaw, even with the right LEF folded up at 50 or 60 degrees. So don't do something stupid, just sit there!!! Don't slow down, don't go faster, don't pull up, don't roll, just stay there while the gal is happy.

The SS2 guys didn't have a chance. And I seem to recall Mel unlocking the feather mechanism on his severe rolling ride for first leg of the X-prize. Alleged reason was for "dampening" or such.

I do not like allowing or depending on my control surfaces to move on their own. Just my preference, but I have reasons. Even at M 2, the SS2 should be able to shut down the motor and come back safely. Problem is the sucker goes ballistic at "x" altitude/"x" speed, and you are along for the ride to apogee. I would guess that the RCS might be used at or slightly above 100K with motor still running at a low setting, but once that motor shuts down for good you're screwed. Not sure about SS2 nozzle gimbals such as shuttle had. Dick Covey and John Blaha told me that the "return to launch site" procedure was a pipe dream, but they practiced it anyway because the main motors could be gimballed and throttled way back. Imagine rotating a zillion pounds of vehicle using the remaining fuel, main motors and OMS system and then gliding back home, heh heh.

Lastly, I do not understand the procedure to unlock the feathers early except it appears that the mechanism is pneumatic, not pure mechanical. Why not a simple cable and long handle to rotate those big hooks? Leverage. Ditto for deploying the feathers coming back. But maybe loads on the feather suckers require a huge mechanical advantage as they are exerting pressure against the locking hook.

I am sure we will see some design and procedure changes, ya think?