PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slip (wing down/cross control) Landing Technique on Airbus (A330)
Old 12th Nov 2014, 06:54
hikoushi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

As much as people (who have never flown one) slam the Airbus philosophy, I must admit I have really learned to enjoy it, even with all it's quirks. It will never have the visceral feel of an older Boeing or Douglas (or Piper for that matter), but it is definitely a pleasure to fly. I still encounter Airbus pilots in all seats who never developed comfort flying the airplane and leave the autos on absolutely all the time. All of them wish they were flying a 777 instead. If they would just take the time to fly the airplane for what it IS, they would find the Zen in the Art of Bus Driving (or just bid back over to the Boeing fleet).

But you know what happens when you go back and fly long-haul in a Boeing after being on the Bus for a few years? YOU CAN'T STAND IT. IT IS PHYSICALLY UNBEARABLE to have that damned control column jamming your legs again. You never noticed it before, but after experiencing that legroom, you now start thinking about deep-vein thrombosis. You leave the autopilot on all the time anyway so you don't care that the airplane "feels" better, you just care about that damn column. And the table! Where is my meal tray going to go? And my coffee? Come on, my break doesn't start until 0900 and it's only 0300! We have a 14 hour block to ZBAA today, this thing is uncomfortable as all getout! Give me back my French ergonomics!!

Time to call it a day and go have a beer. What whining little snots we become with a little comfort!