PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2014, 00:00
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation in Australia: Orbiting one day. Still orbiting decades later, just closer to the ground.

I thought the supporters of NAS were advocating that VFRs should just turn off the VHF and listen to the stereo.

Now I’m hearing that VFRs should carry two VHFs and monitor two frequencies: area and the nearest CTAF.

And, ironically, I seem to be the only one pointing out that you don’t have carry a serviceable VHF in many of these OCTA circumstances. So for pilots of those aircraft, this debate is entertaining but academic.
If need be, speak up on the relevant frequency.
And what is “the relevant frequency”, and when do you know if you “need” to “speak up”? (Strainer answered the question about “mandatory” calls.)

Tank: You might want to say something because on the way in or out of your “private area” you might be mixing it with “overflying low level helicopter and plane flights”.

Dick, I’ve decided to give you the nickname: “Cherry Pick”.

In a related thread you threw rocks at the suggestion that VFR pilots had to carry ERC(L) in order to have access to information essential for VFR navigation beyond the coverage of VNC. When it was pointed out to you that NAS cherry picked some but not all elements of the “proven US model”, one of which is nation-wide VFR Sectional coverage, you went very quiet.

You continue to cherry pick from a document that became cocky cage liner over a decade ago. You cherry pick a quote on “airmanship”. Here are some other cherry picked quotes from NAS material about “airmanship”, and questions that remain unanswered.

NASIG launched a website in August 2002, containing ‘basic information’ about NAS. Here’s a cherry picked quote:
Airmanship
As part of the pilot education programme, pilots of VFR aircraft will be encouraged where practical to:
- avoid routes likely to be used by IFR aircraft.
A question on PPRuNe in response:
How the hell are VFR flights supposed to avoid IFR, routes.
Another question on PPRuNe in response:
And what's this crap about VFR avoiding IFR routes?

Anyone seen a ERC/Jepp chart lately...pick me route from say Redcliffe to Cairns avoiding all navaids, airfields and published route data...
More cherry picked quotes from the cocky cage liner (and my all-time favourite NAS comedy gold):
From page 30 of the Reference Guide, VFR Airmanship-

"Avoid, as far as you can, tracking via aerodromes, navaids, instrument approaches and holding patterns."
A comment in response to some more NAS material:
I drew rye satisfaction from the "Let's Go Flying-Case Study". Having told us ad-nauseum that VFR should avoid IFR routes they actually managed to find two points not joined by an IFR route, I wonder how long that took. Two points among a spider web of IFR routes...man I just hope none of the pilots at Armidale or Gunnedah want to fly to Narrabri, Quirindi, Tamworth etc.

VFR pilot's seem to now require, on top of WACs etc, a set of IFR charts and approach plates...not that they will be allowed to access the information therein to enhance the safety levels of their own operation...just so they can stay away from airspace which encompasses approaches used by IFR traffic.
More NAS comedy gold, from the DOTARS website pilot education on line version:
VFR pilots should avoid when practicable areas where IFR flights may be in a holding pattern:

Holding patterns are depicted on ERC-Low charts as an oval track e.g. left hand pattern centerd on NICKY

VFR pilots should remain clear of GPS approaches:

IFR flights will track to the open triangle and begin the approach from there
If there is more than one open triangle an IFR flight may begin from any of them

Copies of most instrument approaches are available from the Airservices Australia website: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...re/aip/dap.htm

IFR flights will track to the open triangle and begin the approach from there
If there is more than one open triangle an IFR flight may begin from any of the positions

Pilots operating VFR should be aware of airspace where there may be a concentration of aircraft operating IFR. This is particularly important in proximity to non-towered aerodromes. Remain vigilant when operating in the vicinity of arrival/departure tracks to runways and navigation aids
Ask an IFR pilot or instructor about areas of high IFR traffic at your aerodrome.
So, Cherry Pick, according to NAS material, “VFR airmanship” involves “avoid[ing], as far as you can, tracking via aerodromes, navaids, instrument approaches and holding patterns."

I only ask the following question so that those readers with little-to-no no experience in these matters will comprehend that your non-answer, like that of ‘Reticent Mic’ (nee ‘Open Mic’) over a decade ago, speaks volumes.

I’m a student pilot planning a navigation exercise from A to B to C and back to A again, VFR. Keen to build up that intangible quality known as ‘airmanship’, I refer to the guidance material on NAS.

I ask my instructor: How do I avoid, as far as I can, tracking via aerodromes, navaids, instrument approaches and holding patterns?

The instructor says: Dick Smith is the expert on this. Ask Dick.

Over to you, Cherry Pick.