PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSOCAS
Thread: ATSOCAS
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2014, 20:17
LostThePicture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moli

I can only suggest you re-read what I've written in an attempt to understand it.

From what the OP has written, it's difficult to criticise the approach controller at the destination aerodrome. The OP has, however, volunteered that the conflicting traffic was a military aircraft in the vicinity of a major military aerodrome.

Common sense dictates that two conflicting aircraft should, where possible, be on the same frequency for ease of conflict resolution - I have stated that at my unit we attempt to achieve this by offering all traffic leaving in the vicinity of the military aerodrome, to the approach controller at that military aerodrome. We do this because we know that the military unit is better equipped to handle traffic transitting the area.

So, military ATSU declines to work my traffic leaving CAS for the civilian aerodrome. Leaving traffic (now working a primary radar only unit) comes into confliction with military traffic which is highly likely to be receiving a service from the military ATSU. Can you see where the rationale for criticism is yet?

Sure, there are lots of ifs, buts and maybes. Maybe me and the OP are not describing the same area of airspace. But the sort of situation I've just described is quite commonplace, and it's undeniably bad practice.

LTP