PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 C first deck landing
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2014, 19:32
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spaz,

Good post. Thanks - I was quoting sustained G as I felt that it was the more relevant parameter.

Melmoth - F-35C underwing stores capacity is the same as the A model. The outboard folding panels have the 'AIM-9X/AMRAAM only' hard point, which is mounted furthest outboard on the fixed wing A and B.

Yes, I've posted before on the canopy, the key reason for the bow is to achieve much more demanding birdstrike requirements than this applied to F-16 and F-22. The outer shell of the canopy is actually a one piece item, with an internal second piece fitted under the front. The bow supports the aft end of this inner piece.

The location of the bow was reviewed a number of times, with many pilots from all the customer nations taking part in examinations of mock ups, simulator sessions, etc. I do remember that there was a lot of work done to check that the pilot had a good view of the extended probe, as well as special checks for canopy view during carrier landings and STOVL recoveries. All in all, it was a very demanding job for the team, but the customers all went away satisfied.

The front hinged canopy design was driven by a number of issues, including the close location of the F-35B lift fan, signature management, and also the use of MDC to clear the canopy away from the ejection seat (another US first) to meet STOVL ejection times.

Hope this sort of stuff helps

Engines