PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 11th Nov 2014, 18:34
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nimbev#1827,

I'm sure that I never meant to insinuate that Lockheed had ever designed the aircraft to be "short of legs" with regard to time capability. My belief is simply that the material used to manufacture the wings, was sub standard, of dubious quality, and may well have been the cause of both the RAF and prior RAAF corrosion problems. Greenknight's description of replacing RAAF fuel tanks sounds very like re skinning of the wings (the fuel tanks were all integral) apart from the Aux (bag) tanks. Certainly, the vast majority of the stuff I ground away originated from the Middle, not the surface of the wing plank material. My post referred to thinking, at Colerne, the major servicing unit in the early 70s, that the corrosion problem was the result of impurities, or poor production of the material used to manufacture the wings of the aircraft. I well remember someone telling me that when they melted the "Aloominum" saucepans, they forgot to take the Bakelite handles off them. It wouldn't be the first time I'm sure. The problem was resolved later when new wings were fitted, and Albert became the aircraft we all know and love. I wonder if any aircraft has ever entered service, without such hiccups ? I'm sure few can claim that distinction, yet, throughout the corrosion problems of the late 60s/ early 70s Albert continued to do the job, and brought the Royal Air Force transport fleet into the realms of modern capability. As always, apologies for the long post, I must say, that AA62 shot looks like a bullseye.

Smudge