PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worst Regional?
Thread: Worst Regional?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2014, 16:30
NE_Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a couple of reasons why I would not follow that advice. First off, if something happens to the industry (recession, oil prices, etc.) and hiring slows down, is that a place you would want to be stuck at? Second, although those Captains may want to leave, can they? What I mean by this is that the "worst" regionals tend to have lower hiring standards (multiple checkride failures, DUIs, etc.), although these Captains may want to leave they may not have anywhere to else to go. Third, the "worst" regionals are having a harder time then the "better" regionals in getting FOs and holding onto them. The issue here being, if there is no one to replace you in the right seat then you're not going to the left seat, no matter how badly they need Captains. For example, Endeavor is currently shrinking do to not being able to hire new FOs, as a result they are downgrading Captains to FO.

That advice may have been a little more sound when the hiring minimums where 250hrs and pilots where lining up to get a regional job, but that is not currently the case.

My advice, don't chase a quick upgrade. Look for a place that you would be ok being "stuck" at, many regional pilots have been at the regionals for much longer than they anticipated. This industry is very fickle and although the Majors are ramping up hiring, it doesn't take much to stop that, as seen in 2001 and 2008.

Further, the majors and LLCs (JetBlue, Virgin America) are beginning to hire guys without Turbine PIC time. If (big IF, fickle industry) the trend continues, PIC time may no longer play as large of a factor in moving on to the Majors.