PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 C first deck landing
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2014, 16:06
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KenV,

Good points on the differences between an emergency land based hook and one designed for carrier landings. All those higher loads drive tons (and I mean tons) of extra metal into the rear end of the airframe.

Engine sustainability - as early as 2001, it was understood (and accepted by all including the USN) that the F135 would not be transportable to sea as a single unit. As a result, P&W came up with a concept whereby the engine would be handled as separate modules, and assembled on board using special handling equipment. (By the way, the F135 is a piece of Government Furnished Equipment (GFE) for the F-35 programme).

Below decks storage on both CVNs and LHDs can handle the modules, and the engine assembly and change procedures have already been demonstrated within the required 'maintenance box' specified by the users.

Reliability figures - I would be absolutely astonished if the F-35's reliability figures at this state in its development were anything like the Hornet's, or the Super Hornet's. Maintainability was an area I was involved in with many very experienced people at Fort Worth, with massive input from the USAF, USMC and USN, as well as the RN. It's certainly a challenge on a stealth aircraft, but the team have worked hard to make sure that the normal line operations are all carried out using as few panels and special tools as possible. Is it perfect? Heck, no. Is is operable on board? Yes. It's miles and miles better than an AV-8B, and better in some regards than the F-16.

The point I'm trying to get over here is that the F-35 team have worked damned hard to deliver the best aircraft possible within the requirements set by the customer. In many areas, it is nowhere near as bad as some are trying to make out. They care hugely about sustainability (the KPPs show that) and they know what they are doing when they make their design choices.

I know that's not the perceived wisdom on this thread, but there it is. As always, happy if and when others disagree.

Best Regards to those making supersonic stealth STOVL at sea work,

Engines