PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LVO catIII approval under EASA
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2014, 14:31
Cagedh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LVO catIII approval under EASA

Under AMC6 SPA.LVO.105 LVO approval is written:
ELIGIBLE AERODROMES AND RUNWAYS
(a) Each aircraft type/runway combination should be verified by the successful completion of at least one approach and landing in CAT II or better conditions, prior to commencing CAT III operations.
The Belgian CAA is requiring the airline I work for (we are catIIIb approved, operating Airbus) to make a successful autoland on any runway we want to make a catIII approach to, before actually doing a real catIII approach to that runway. The British and German branches of my airline have never heard of such a requirement from their respective CAA and can perform catIII approaches to any runway which is catIII compliant.

I believe the Belgian CAA is wrong and misinterpreting the EASA rule. There's no logic in requiring every operator to demonstrate autoland capability on every runway it wants to operate to in catIII, or is there? I would think that the catIII approval of a runway by the state it is situated in, would be enough.

Is the Belgian CAA out of line by requiring this from us? How do you interpret the rule I quoted above?