PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA warns about drones in bushfires
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2014, 09:20
cattletruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I barely remember the Moorabbin RC club adjacent to the airport (YMMB) from many moons ago. I heard rumours that it was a very good club with strict flying policies, however it suddenly closed, I think after a runaway RC plane crashed into a parked aircraft. These days it's all about individuals with bugger all concern for policies and the rule book.

Last summer whilst bicycling along the bay I came across an individual who was flying his quadcopter drone in a public park. He looked a bit geeky and a bit of a loner, but he seemed to be well organised with a carry bag full of tools and spares, and half decent radio gear. I watched him run this device around the park at a height of 20 ft and sometimes up to speeds approaching 80km/h - you sure wouldn't want to be hit in the back of the head with that thing. He eventually ran the battery dry and I observed that it was too hot for him to touch in order to change it so I left. An hour later I returned only to find him trying to get his quadcopter drone out of a tree .

Limits? The only limits that apply to these people is when something goes wrong.