PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OSTEND
Thread: OSTEND
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2014, 07:11
ATNotts

Received 328 Likes on 191 Posts
EGIS is also looking to UK airports to set up connections. According to the rumours this could be airports in Mid-England or Scotland. Anyone
an idea which routings could be meant here?
Difficult to see which airports they could be targeting in Central England. I drive regularly from the East Midlands to Belgium, and onward to Central Europe, and to be honest, pick your time of day right, and it's only 5 hours or so to Oostende and the other coastal resorts. There could be a little business traffic to the towns and cities to the west of Brussels, and possibly to some Northern French locations, but too little to sustain a frequent service.

As for "bucket and spade" tourism, although to my mind the north sea coastal resorts like Koksijde, Nieuwpoort etc. are infinitely more pleasant than their opposite numbers on our side of the water, the weather isn't that much better and looking at accommodation prices (as I have done) I don't think they'll compete with the guaranteed sunshine of the Spanish resorts.

Perhaps leisure routes to / from Scotland, where there would be a better chance of two-way traffic might be viable, but by whom, I don't know. Some years ago Ryanair dabbled with Oostende but walked away, but that was from southeast England.