PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To FAA or EASA that is the question
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2014, 23:27
banjodrone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In EASA land Ginger. Like Purple says it's set up that way. Pre - about 2004 / 2005 you could still have trained overseas, did all the conversions and saved a bit of cash but they've been working on making that less viable since the 1990's and finally achieved it. When you factor in the cost of a full "conversion", most of which is flying costs and add up all the extras while abroad like flights, accommodation and food, not to mention just having somewhat of a life every once in a while, you don't actually save anything and end up with a deficit.

I'm a real living example mate. I've a friend from Belgium who was in the same position Qualified on Fixed and Rotor, went to Africa and didn't stand a chance with less than 1000 hours. He ended up marrying someone and started a Bar & Restaurant in Uganda. He's happy so good for him but he admits it's very unlikely he'll fly again. At 44 I don't fancy my chances by the time I get the means together and get around to it but I'll have to just for completeness and my own peace of mind because I always finish what I start.

Bottom line - Train where you intend to fly, you won't regret it.