PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Nov 2014, 20:18
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ksim,
I recall said video was a Pinz and trailer loaded with live 88mm mortar rounds. Ex purple something or other. It was a JATE camera man who dived into a hollow leaving his camera running. Big Paul (can't recall his surname) was on the MALDROP party and can be seen walking around quite nonchalantly having a gander. As the rounds started to go off he began walking away slowly. I would have ran! The DZ was up at Otterburn. The next day Paul came down to Newton Abbott with me catching up with zeds in the back of the Astra. He was not much good at the Torquay grab a granny that night.

I am surprised these video's have not yet shown up on You Tube. (the airdrop not the grab a granny with the cattle prod)

Re the fuel. Yes a big move from petrol to diesel. Vehicle tanks were never more than 3/4 full. AA62 is absolutely correct over max out with side stores on ops. In many cases this exceeded the cleared weight and particularly the CoG which was quite critical.

The jerry cans may have been mandatory stores on this particular load to get the CoG in the middle. Ammo boxes filled with gravel were preferred.

I think I have previously recounted the issues we had when we tried to bring back HSP! I hope the remaining one finished up at the Airborne collection at Duxford. Does anyone know if there is an MSP preserved. There were a couple at JATE in May this year when I went to the reunion.