PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows Easy Connect - seems to be missing
Old 10th Nov 2014, 19:54
Blues&twos

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Windows Easy Connect - seems to be missing

Hi,

I'm having trouble giving my dad 'remote assistance' using Windows Easy Connect. It's not something I've used before, and it seems to be available and ready to go at my end (I'm running Win 8.1, 64 bit). However, at his end - he's running Win 7 Home 64 bit - the "Launch remote assistance" option seems to be missing from the System section in Control Panel.

According to sources on the internet, Win 7 has Easy Connect as an option.

Does anyone know why it seems to be missing?

It's a bit of a pain as he's in Sussex and I'm in Oxfordshire, so it's not a quick journey to have a look at his PC...he's just got a Win 7 PC (his previous one was a very elderly XP machine), so at the moment he needs a bit of support, and he's not particularly computer literate, so it's very tricky to picture what he's trying to explain sometimes. Those of you who provide remote support over the phone will recognise this scenario!

Thanks in advance, and hope.

EDIT: have discovered since first posting that the Remote Assistance .exe file is in C: \Windows\System32, named 'msra.exe'. I'll check to see if this is present on my dad's PC next time I phone him. Might get him to make a shortcut or pin it to his taskbar. Ideally I'd like to do this for him myself, remotely, but....

Last edited by Blues&twos; 10th Nov 2014 at 20:58.