PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 505 Jet Ranger X
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2014, 13:12
jeffg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also don't agree with using old technology running gear and blades and fob it off as a cost saving exercise to help the poor old buyer. Its all about maximum profit. With all the money Bell has made over the years from its customers and having run the JR design for so long they should have brought us something truly inspiring, with a full composite light weight body and composite blades. Some examples of which are hitting the market just now.
I think you're missing the point. Looking at the specs of this aircraft and it's price point it's pretty obvious, at least I think, that it was designed for a specific market segment. That market segment has an upper bound as to what it will or can pay. The combination of that boundry and customer expectations (performance) drove the technology which could be used on the product. The engineering, tooling, testing and certification cost alone of an all new composite body and blades would have easily caused this to cost twice as much if not more.

That said this obviously isn't the aircraft for you, or me for that matter, but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for it as evidenced by the comments of Longbox. Again, I don't see where Bell is advertising this as having the latest and greatest technology. As previously mentioned, if you want that they are building the 525.
As an aside I personally have had R44/66 operators tell me that they would like to have an Airbus or Bell product but can't afford to. The 505, if delivered at it's price point, allows them entry.