PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Didn't Go Solo
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2014, 10:43
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps you may want to get a bit more proactive upon turning final and get your heels up off the floor and feet fully onto the pedals.
Be careful with this advice. With your feet fully on the pedals you may be hitting the toe brakes inadvertently. Which may cause you to "canvas" the tires (wear them away until you hit canvas) or worse.

Let your instructor show you the correct feet position for that particular type of aircraft. But if it's a conventional PA-28, C172 or similar, the proper position will most likely be with your heels on the floor.

Anyway, back to first solos. As with others, my instructor did not tell me before. We had done a few sorties away from the circuit already, and on this particular sortie we were back in the circuit for some touch and goes. Halfway through the lesson he had me do a full stop landing, hopped out and tell me to do three circuits on my own.

I taxied out, did the runup checks and got a massive mag drop on the left magneto. I tried to clear the engine with some increased power and aggressive leaning but it would not budge. So I taxied back, to a pretty surprised instructor. After he tried to clear the engine, and failed as well, he pointed me to another aircraft for a second try.

By the time I took off in that aircraft I was sufficiently annoyed with the whole thing that I was not even nervous anymore.