PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Nov 2014, 10:28
nimbev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree with GreenKnight121. The aircraft were bought through FMS and not directly from Lockheed. Full training would have been available had UK wanted it but, to be honest, I dont think there were too many problems with the training per se. Minor problems arose with changes to the aircraft eg removing part of the US nav fit and installing parts of a UK system, but perhaps one of the biggest problems was the decision not to use a fungal inhibitor, such that by mid 1969 we had major structural problems with the integral fuel tanks.

I remember that B cat crews were sent out on the Changi slip to bring back the aircraft. The airframe we recovered went straight into the hangar at Lyneham and had major structural rework to the wing. They wouldnt even authorise it for one more flight. I remember the crew being invited to go and have a look - having just flown it back from Changi we werent impressed! Mind you I never worked out why B cat crews were stipulated - pilots yes, maybe they were more likely to handle the aircraft more gently than a less experienced pilot - but for the nav? My undoubted navigation expertise wouldnt have helped a lot if the wing folded!!

From Hansard Dec 1969

The fuel tanks of virtually all R.A.F. Hercules have suffered some degree of corrosion. The extent of the damage varies widely. In a few aircraft replacement of part of the wing structure is likely to be needed. All the aircraft affected will be repaired over the next year. To make good the loss of transport capacity while repairs are being carried out, some Argosies will continue in service longer than planned.
The Royal Air Force has for some time used a fuel additive as an icing inhibitor for aircraft liable to icing, and this additive inhibits fungal growth. In view of the special lining of the integral fuel tanks, it was not at first thought necessary to incur the cost of using this additive to check fungal growth in all Hercules aircraft.