PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obstacle (and other) information in NOTAMS
Old 10th Nov 2014, 08:07
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
so i guess our performance supplier takes NOTAMed obstacles into account

A big guess to stake your life on I would have thought ?

Seems to mostly be glanced at and not much else done

Likewise ..

eg at 1nm below 600' is ok.

That has to be one of the most frightening statements I have heard in a long career doing this stuff.

The airline performance department should be checking NOTAMs and assessing whether any obstacles require recalculation of the RTOWs.

Exactly the case for a professional operation.

When I've enquired about it I'm told that we just trust that the performance department are doing their job

Fine but, if they screw up, you die .. and this within the same company ? Obviously don't comprehend corporate risk management.

but in the REAL world ... how for example would you attack this one....?

No sign-off from the relevant Ops Eng group .. no go. Plain and simple.

Realistically, using typical general takeoff charts, a conservative result can be figured by using the max obstacle elevation declared at the minimum distance and this is fine for one-offs. For routine operations, however, the dollar dictates a more refined analysis.

....stab a guess and go

Not a chance.

Be honest!

Be assured that I am being entirely upfront ... with either the pilot's or professional engineer's hat on. The job just isn't worth being risk ignorant.

Having said all that ... I presume, from the profile, that D-DOG is a corporate pilot. I appreciate the realities of that sector of the Industry but the buck still sits in the Commander's lap when the mishap gets to the Inquiry and you are on your very Pat Malone.