PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to solo; now versus the "good old days"
Old 10th Nov 2014, 07:17
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I also progressed from gliding to power. In my case we did some general handling during the first hour of my 'silver c conversion' followed by a couple of circuits. The second hour was just circuits with the instructor getting out for the last one. The navex and gft all completed in the statutory eight hours then required. I visited the CAA in Queensgate and had my licence in my hand at the end of week two.

I tell this story not to show off, but to make an important point. There is a lot of luck in life. When I showed up at my local airfield the CFI of one of the air squadrons was covering for the owners who were away on holiday. The weather was unusually good and he was familiar with Bicester where I was an instructor. We did the training in a very concentrated fashion and I was young and highly motivated....not least to keep the cost down! I have always considered myself an average pilot. But the very good grounding I got from Andy Gough and his team laid the foundations not just for a PPL but for a career.

Last edited by lederhosen; 10th Nov 2014 at 08:06.