PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 10th Nov 2014, 02:17
Typhoon93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geff, only just seen this.

Thank you so much. PRK would be the option I'd go for regardless since it is the most practised, and subsequently there is a lot more experience. I am not saying LASIK is bad, or those who perform it are bad, it's just that I am more comfortable that way.

My biggest hurdle at present is asthma. I understand the risks with asthma and flying, however those risks only apply to those who currently suffer with asthma (the unpredictable asthma attacks). I haven't been prescribed medication for a long time, and I hardly used the medication when I had it as I didn't need it. Unless the RAF suddenly changes its policies on childhood asthma or it gets wiped from my medical records as a mistake (in which case I wouldn't volunteer the information to OASC!), then the only way I will ever get near a fast jet is by going to a museum.

Another question for PN: Why is childhood asthma (however the asthma symptoms are no longer present and have not been for some time, if at all) so frowned upon for Aircrew duties?