PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2014, 23:19
Danny42C

India rail (1945 style).

harrym (your #6431),

Thanks for the Good Wishes !

" I would have thought at least one break of gauge somewhere along the way".

One gauge, but two trains ! We went from Dohazari to the ferry broad gauge, then our "Showboat" crossed the Sunderbans E-W. This vast swamp was the delta of both the Bramahputra and the Ganges, the B. came from the NE, the G. from the NW, but as the channels were always shifting, your "mighty river" might be either or both.

(Parachuting down in that part of the world was reputed to be hazardous, as if you landed in salt water, the Bay of Bengal sharks would have you, if in fresh the "muggers" (alligators) would take you, on dry(ish) land the Bengal tiger - they were still around then - would make you his dinner ! - it was "Safer by Rail").

On the W. bank, we were on broad gauge all the way again to Calcutta and right across to Baluchistan (whole story Page 150 #2983). You would go North to Comilla on narrow gauge, I suppose. ( I believe there was some rolling stock made with two sets of wheels on one axle, but cannot see that would be very safe on narrow gauge for fast passenger traffic).

"made it easy for the authorities to allocate us to 'slum' class".

Disgraceful ! Had they forgotten that the first requisite to being the Ruling Class is to look like a Ruling Class ? (their own Maharajahs and our Viceroys knew this all too well !). Sahibs (even 2nd class Sahibs like us Sgt/Pilots and the BORs), travelling 4th ???

Letting the Side Down, by Gad, Sir - fella' in charge of this should be horsewhipped !

(Incredulous old Sahib) Danny.