PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 9th Nov 2014, 21:51
MaxAnderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to clear things up:

Whats this 0.5% figure for pilot applicants? Meaning that (less than) 1 in 200 applicants are selected?

Not to sound like a complete plonker but I am not terribly confident that this is particularly accurate, based on all previous information that I've heard. I'm basing this all on info that I've got from the Royal Navy - not the RAF so I can't comment on those guys.

Upon meeting individuals successful at FATs, I've been informed by multiple people that flying aptitude is a score out of 180, where 112 is a pass for pilot. However, I met a chap who got 140 and that was considered a very competitive score.

I have also heard that candidates that scraped the 112 mark got into BRNC as potential aircrew (granted that this is based on AIB score) but have an equal chance to get flying.

I have also heard that if you fail for pilot (or any aircrew role that you were applying for) you can write to the AIB and ask to re-take the FATs at least once more.

All of this stuff is from some RN Personnel, a couple of ACLOs and candidates from around the country. Can anyone tell me if it is valid?

I'll be fair, the 0.5% figure sounds plausible because of the demand for quality over quantity, and I have met a vast number of plonker candidates (I for which may be one, but I can only hope that I'm not).

Just thought I'd share my side of the story, I figured I might learn something.