PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slip (wing down/cross control) Landing Technique on Airbus (A330)
Old 9th Nov 2014, 19:10
Gryphon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'll review it for myself.

When talking about if you are able to land the Airbus FBW (I only know 320 family) in crosswind using the "wing down/cross control side slip method", I'd like to make different considerations.

- Airbus clearly recommends the crab technique. Why? They didn't tell us! But it is a recommendation. They didn't say it's a must or any other technique is prohibited or any other technique is not possible or discouraged because the flight controls. In the other hand if the manufacturer is recommending you something....better to follow it! But still a recommendation.
- There is nothing in the flight controls system that prevents you to do so. You make a roll input in the sidestick to produce a roll rate until you have the target bank and then go to neutral to order roll rate zero and the desired bank will be maintain (it doesn't matter if the target bank is zero or 5 or any other until 33 or if you are changing your heading or keeping it). Of course in real life you have to work on it the same way you have to do it in every landing, with the only difference that the target bank won't be zero. Simultaneously you use the rudder to align the aircraft with the runway centerline. You will flight straight and the computers will be happy because they are doing what they are supposed to do and nothing else. Just the same way you'd fly any other aircraft.
- Is it difficult? I don't think so, but as any other technique, has to be trained, and the more you do it the easier it become. Will you train it? I don't think so because it is not the recommended technique.
- ACMS and hikoushi: wise words, thank you!
- Titaniumwings: don't worry! You won't crash so easily! Just an aircraft! Enjoy it!