PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GW1 Tornado raid transcript
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2014, 06:52
MG

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
There were a lot of things in GW1 that we did that were amateurish. I'd never seen a Paveway until I saw one hanging for our ac as we strapped in to go and drop them. We didn't override the JP233 on our formation so we ended getting an open-loop pull up and found ourselves at 2000' over target with the speed washing off and a Roland lighting us up. We didn't know about this particular glitch as our det were the last into theatre and hadn't heard the other det's stories.
Similarly, we were discussing new fuse settings on the bus out to the ac. As an 8-ship, four were impact fused, four were air burst. Two of the airburst ac turned back u/s and the two that dropped both had their bombs prematurely detonate. I'm quite convinced that we were very lucky that night not to lose 4 ac, rather than the 1 that we did.
Don't get me wrong, our det was very professional, but we had a massively steep learned curve. I'm very glad that we were in the Kingdom and didn't have the lure of booze and hosties to distract us.