PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check Ride. Not happy with your DPE, what can you do?
Old 9th Nov 2014, 05:11
MitchStick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Ride. Not happy with your DPE, what can you do?

Hi all,
I recently did my CFII (helicopter) check ride and I wasn't happy at all with the examiner.
First was the fee, $800 for an added rating seemed a little excessive to me, especially cos I never paid or heard someone pay that much for any check ride.

Then we went in to the flight, the PTS clearly states that the examiner has to act as a student for this check ride, when I asked him to take control he said he couldn't because he would only act as an autopilot and ONLY when I would have to load the next approach on the gps, all the rest was up to me, we had a brief discussion where I told him what the pts said, but he would not hear of it so, with frustration, I moved on.
All the flight went by, did a precision and a non precision app. as per pts and the other required tasks, no words from the examiner, we came back, landed, get in to the office and at that point only he started to say something about I went full scale on the glide slope (which I didn't see happening) and that was not within standards, to cut the story short he failed me for that.
The pts states in bold letters that if the applicant fails, the test may be continued ONLY with the consent of the applicant.
Now that clearly did not happen.

So with the questions:
Is there someone that regulate the DPE fees or that is entirely up to them and how they wake up in the morning?
The DPE didn't follow the PTS in my opinion, should I talk to the local FSDO or to who?

FYI: we went up again for a little "extra fee" and completed the check ride with no drama the day after.