PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 9th Nov 2014, 03:13
4runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that from a Brit perspective of "You invented it, but WE perfected it", very bureaucratic attitude towards aviation that US radio phraseology is atrocious. However, this is usually a strictly domestic phenomenon. We understand each other. I have noticed that American and North American pilots rarely if ever, use US phraseology when flying outside of North America. I will even make a broad and possibly offensive statement and say that the Francophones are the worst. They aren't even using the standard LANGUAGE, let alone phraseology. Additionally, and I've mentioned this before, I regularly "translate" for UK and Commonwealth pilots in Africa and the sand box. Is my RT the best? Far from it, but I can help out my fellow aviator on the airwaves, whether it be a relay or "translation", I will. Sorry if I offend you by saying "Kennedy, $&@?€% 1234 is outa 25-oh for 35-oh, good mornin'"....
As for the incident in LGA, this is a challenging airport and airspace at times, and flaps 40 on a 73 at anything above ref +10 is gonna give u a level, if not nose down attitude, and it flies almost like it's in the region of reverse command, pitch for airspeed, power for altitude. Big wing, big flaps, big drag. Get in ground effect and it will float. As for the automation....it would have probably been more effort than benefit, ie a distraction. A visual is a visual and often times at last minute. You have to be a stick and rudder kind of pilot for about 50% of the approaches in the US when the wx is vfr. Even at major airports. Sounds like the Captain got tunnel vision or "get-there-itis". You should never have to force a 73 on the ground or chop the power above 20'. Also, something that must be considered, narrow and short runway equals visual illusion of being high.