PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Didn't Go Solo
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2014, 20:12
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's a fair comment tecman . .. but it is probably more correct to say . .
that a career in aviation requires a resilience not as a rule encountered in too many other walks of life . .. except working on psych wards . .. . ambos and police at accident and crime scenes . .. . enduring close encounters with certain mongrels and retards in specific government departments . .. . . and . .

..... contending with the mother-in-law on a daily basis

I'd also say to Mr Axle . . .. . like mastering the golf swing. . . put all the effort you find you require into grasping the basics . .
then after a few lessons start sitting in the aeroplane . . wherever she is parked . . . and with your hands resting lightly on the controls go over and over a sequence until it becomes to some degree second nature. This is an exercise that many pupils going way way back have found most beneficial. At its most effective it is a meditative exercise blending into future
higher and higher plateaus of achievement . . and satisfaction.

Mary M will not object if I give another plug for gliding as the ultimate form of aviating close to the essence and near to nature experience. Once you make the transition from 'the nursery slopes' and find yourself strapped into a well mannered little single seater on a day full of lovely wide smooth thermals carrying you up up and away . . well others have described it better than I ever could . .(Philip Wills 'On Being a Bird') . . but it is a kind of nirvana. DO IT. to leave it too late is not a pleasant prospect. You will. . as it has been so often remarked. . . be a much better pilot than he who has not taken this road

here endeth the lesson

Last edited by Fantome; 8th Nov 2014 at 20:36.