PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 8th Nov 2014, 19:39
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Null Orifice,

With respect to training and experience on Albert in the early days, you are spot on. In some ways I was fortunate in being posted to Colerne directly from my apprentice course at Halton. I had no pre conceived ideas, in fact I had no idea, what to expect. Reading the books, and doing as I was told was the general rule on White team (Base 3) in 71-73, and followed when I was part if the Corrosion Control team (Tank Rats) before posting to Cyprus. As I recall, and as AA62 suggests, the use of NSN, FSN and Section and Reference numbers did little to help anyone find his way through the Vol3. But must surely be down to the insistence on using a blend of USA and British equipment? When I was there, Colerne's Lockheed Rep was a bit of a lad, wore a ten gallon hat and cowboy boots. He ensured company funds sponsored many of the drinks consumed at the team Christmas do, and even managed to present us all with a dark blue tie, with a single Albert on it. I still have mine, but like my course notes, photographs etc, seem to be temporarily misplaced in my old Nav bag.

I rather suspect that the "buggers muddle" that was the fleet "second line facility" at Colerne in the early 70s, would not be acceptable for say, the introduction of the A400M to the RAF today. But then, perhaps half the fun of engineering on Albert was the "journey in to the unknown.

Doug M,

Thanks for that insight on the loss of an Engine on Albert. It never occurred to me how much power the Allison was producing on take off, despite more than 5000 hours flying on them, years working on them, and lots and lots of ground running. It's never too late to learn I reckon.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 8th Nov 2014 at 22:26.