PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 8th Nov 2014, 18:37
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uplinker is correct.

Radio useage in the USA can go from perfect, to perfectly awful. Slick guys are the worst.

About 24 years ago I was saying "FIFE", and "TREE" on the radio for 5 and 3 and it was just like the "BOOK" said. My captain got very upset and told me not to use these terms. When I made captain I went back to the correct way.

I will make this short and sweet. The captain was not very good, and was having a bad day. In other words if you are good and having a bad day you might be average. If you are not very good and having a bad day, you drop well below average.

I firmly believe that some brains are not well designed for being a pilot. perhaps the brain in question fell short.

I also wonder how I landed for years at LGA without a HUD, or without breaking off the landing gear.

I think we can all be happy about one thing, if this captain had been flying the Long Island Expressway Visual approach, the results would have been much worse.