PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slip (wing down/cross control) Landing Technique on Airbus (A330)
Old 8th Nov 2014, 07:47
titaniumwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for bringing up the points. It is what I had wanted to discuss.

As villas mentioned; the FBW flight computer may introduce an input which is contrary to that of a pilot.

As ACMS mentioned, the comparison I am trying to make is between B777 to A330. Also the part of which it can be flown like any other aircraft may need more thought. But you will be a great person to compare as I believe you have flown both the B777 and A330.

Consider a conventional turn, any aircraft (other than airbus) will require the pilot to hold in the input on the aileron to continue the turn. For airbus just demand a roll rate till the bank angle and release to neutral-this is not conventional.

I believe the B777 sets itself up for sideslip at 400', this can be observed on its autoland.

The A330 has normal lateral law till practically touchdown. Considering the way it coordinates for the turn, it therefore cannot do a wing down at height (400' or higher) like the Boeing.

During flare however, momentarily wing down before the coordinated lateral inputs by the flight computer will result in the wing down touchdown. This is just my interpretation of the normal lateral law.

Please correct my understanding accordingly.

ps: by this theory, with an all engine flameout and still under Normal Law and the engines do not light up, it is not possible to the side slip/ forward slip method to lose height while still maintaining track on finals