PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned Media Release re CASA Misinformation
Old 7th Nov 2014, 19:38
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little drift-in a good cause.

When something like the VEC is 'scrapped', it has been my habit to keep a version of the last iteration. Creamy's questions earlier prompted a trip down memory lane, which led to a mini 'time, motion and situational awareness' exercise. It went like this:-

Picked a log book from the shelf; opened randomly, put finger on a line and selected the flight from the day. From – to and knocked out a plan using the VEC, straight line first A-B; then modified the track to miss the R and avoid as much D as possible; altered again to maximise use of the available aids; picked out 'reporting/ turning' points; jotted them down on a flight plan, measured tracks, distances and LSALT, picked up the Met data, onto the whiz wheel, time and distance, done and dusted. Fuel calculation from time – all up 12 minutes.

Next the computer 'flight planner' got fired up; same data entered; the data base did not have a couple of the points I wanted, so create user waypoint, find coordinates and modify: enter: off we go. No sweat operation, Met in, Fuel out – 7 minutes all up.

Remember though, this was not a route flown regularly, so there was no standard plan in my system and my knowledge of the route was minimal to say the least, so the WAC was dragged out, just to get a 'feel' for the country and any items which may be of interest. So, perhaps, allowing time to mark the WAC (track and drift lines, six minute markers etc.) I spent a pleasant 20minutes, with a coffee to 'manually' nut out a 'flight plan' and navigation log.

Now I am completely aware that the computer is slicker and quicker; but, and to my mind, it's a big but (don't be rude) doing the 'plan' in the 'old fashioned way' gave me a sense of satisfaction, a feeling of 'preparedness' (for wont of better), options, alternative strategy, escape routes and, IMO an increased 'situational' awareness. The subject flight was lengthy, operated with one ADF, DME and a VOR, no auto pilot and GPS was 'star-wars' gear. It's all changed now; and, in some ways for the better but I wonder what price we have paid for being technologically 'dependent'. The VEC was a great aid to 'situational' awareness, which placed the pilot 'in the picture' from the planning stage, rather than the 'remoteness' or detachment one feels in a modern, all automatic aircraft where the plan is stored and little 'constructive' thinking is required. Enter, Enter, Enter, Enter, Enter, GO.

Anyway – Drift off, two bob well spent.