PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice Please - Back in the Saddle.
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2014, 08:58
londonblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for your feedback. There are a number of interesting points from a number of people, so instead of replying to them all individually, here goes:

The match is in April. I have a whole week booked in December with an instructor to get back up to speed. I then intend to fly regularly up until April (6 months), so I don’t believe currency etc. will be an issue.

Just because I haven’t flown, doesn’t mean I haven’t planned flights (sad I know) so I also don’t believe flight planning will be an issue. (Although at this stage execution of a plan might be – but see the point above.)

I don’t believe having a taxi waiting for me would be difficult. However, I do agree that the 20 minutes from the ground to the airport is best case, therefore any delay would start to cut into my time. One thing I would never do (because I am about the most anal person I have ever met) is shorten the pre-flight checks. I would rather take off late than do that…hence the question about whether or not it would be sensible to carry out part of that process once I have landed, and am waiting for fuel.

My job is all about process improvement and having contingencies, and that is something I allow to spill over into “real life”. Because I don’t have an IMC, I would always have a back-up that involved driving. (The train would be out because I have no intention of buying a ticket in advance that might not be needed, or paying through the nose to buy one on the day.)

What you have all really done is confirm what I already thought: that although this is possible, it is probably a tad too tight on time, with very little contingency. The idea of staying over is certainly one worth exploring, and (believe it or not) one I hadn’t thought of!

On a less serious note:

I am 44 years old, and have been a Southend season ticket holder since I was 2. Any jokes about Southend’s lack of fans/success are not new, and are water off a ducks back! I also live about a 5 minute drive from Arsenal’s training ground in Shenley, but have still managed to ingrain Southend United into my two boys (aged 6 and 4), the elder of which already has a season ticket, and the other will next season. I consider that my greatest footballing achievement – even if the older one also has an Arsenal kit! They will both be attending tomorrow’s FA Cup match against Chester, and I couldn’t be prouder!

As for Rugby rather than football: My wife and I found out last week we have won (through the public ballot) tickets to the England vs Wales game at Twickenham in the RWC – roll on 26th September 2015!

Last edited by londonblue; 7th Nov 2014 at 12:50.