PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot over drink/drive limit removed from aircraft
Old 7th Nov 2014, 08:55
jayteeto

Location: Liverpool based Geordie, so calm down, calm down kidda!!
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
51 years old, career professional pilot.
Have I ever turned in whilst unfit? Yes, once, in a past life before my civil career. After an end of show party at one of the worlds largest airshows. I had a slot time to make and felt shabby. I forgot to engage the autopilot, lifted downwind and the crowd thought my departure was me showing off....... It wasnt.
Since then I have had some altercations stopping people entering the cockpit to make MY mistake. Once a squadron commander ordered me to let a junior pilot fly from germany when the plan changed at the last minute. Lets say he was incandescant with me stopping the flight. I stood my ground and he spent the whole flight back throwing up in the cabin. When the bass saw him, he thanked me for being a c@@t (his words).
So, Im not perfect, never claimed to be. In my civil career I have never ever turned up over the limit. Plan boozing for rest days.
Do I think it is an incorrect limit? Hell Yes!! But its what we have for now, live with it. If you want to start a campaign to link flying limits to driving limits, I am in. Just dont link this case in hand to the law being wrong. We have to work with what we have for now, nobody is above the law, no matter how stupid the law is.