PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC
Thread: CTC
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2014, 22:58
average-punter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) As far as I'm aware you can apply for them all, I can't see why not... May be worth giving CTC a call to find out too, they also have a few informal Q+A sessions on Face....

2) Not overly, when I started, the pre-course admin was a total shambles. Chatting to guys going through it now it doesn't seem any better. A recent group of cadets showed up at Heathrow to find CTC had booked their tickets incorrectly resulting in a whole mess with the visas as names weren't matching.

3) Communication is exceptionally poor from management to their customers. You will need to chase for receipts of all payments. You pay the 'security bond' to a seperate CTC company called APL which seems to be managed by the same person.

4) I was lucky with my accomodation, during ground school we had a high quality recently furnished flat. The location was good, about 15 minutes from Nursling (where the training centre is) and close enough to the centre of Southampton. In New Zealand the accommodation is pretty good, rooms are to a high standard and it is well maintained, although the security is very poor. My complaint would be that it is in the middle of no-where and can be difficult to get out as you have to share cars. The accomodation costs are included in the fees but you will need transport to get to and from Nursling and Hamilton airport (although a CTC van does run at select times throughout the day and you can jump on for no extra cost)

5) Yes, quite a lot to be honest. They advertise that all remedial training is now included in the course price, but it turns out you still have to be for ground school, CPL, IR re-sits (exam fees). You will need to have an iPad for all ground school courses now. You will need to factor in the cost of new uniform when the current terrible quality one inevitable falls to bits. You will need to pay for insurance to cover the bond, both life and loss of license along with a NZ travel insurance policy. You will also need to pay for your license issue fee. Included in the price is all ground school material and flying equipment including a headset.

6) It depends how you like to live, some people do quite literally shut them selves away during ground school and have a very small expenditure. In NZ you can spend as much or as little as you wish, it's hard to give a clear cost as everyone's situation is different.

I've said it before but I strongly advise that anyone exhausts all possible tagged schemes before going down the self-sponsored road.

I second the BALPA leaflet, very informative.

Good luck