PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post Nominals
Thread: Post Nominals
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2014, 21:14
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never thought this was such a contentious topic.

Interested to see the answer to the OP.

I use mine with pride and I hope in an appropriate manner. I don't have a degree but came up through the mature route. spent many hours over a number of years preparing a technical paper to present to a learned panel in town. I expected a grilling but wondered what all the fuss had been about. The rules changed several times and my paper was not required in the end. The chairman of the panel noted who my sponsors were and that was that.

I hope I continue to serve my profession and give something back in a similar way to those who supported me in my youth.

A few funny stories to add. I was a civilian working in a purple environment with Officers and NCOs reporting to me (light blue and brown jobs). I hated JPA and the reporting process but that went with the job. I had Civilian and Military reporting Officers. This grade equivalence caused me some fun. particularly when my "Adjutant" (an Army Capt) promoted me in the field to Brigadier. When on detachment overseas a real Colonel asked the Capt what Regiment Dragartist was from. I guess this "Honorary" rank allowed me the use of facilities overseas and in the UK. It also got me into bother a few times when out on detached duty with the SNCOs I would prefer to stay with them in their mess. To be asked a few times to move out. We soon began to use hotels rather than BOQs in the US etc.

I work alongside a retired RAF Sqn Ldr who continues to use the same PNs as I - he dropped the RAF (Rtd). When challenged why he was unaware of activities of the Society he said that he no longer paid his fees but continues to use the PNs on his letterhead and Business card.

Gouldie, I too have a VD and Scar!!