PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More KC-46A woes....
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2014, 19:27
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My remarks were aimed at the missing fuel volume from our resident A330 tanker expert and his suggestion that the USAF option carried less than standard A330s.

Comical Ali comes to mind.
1. There is no missing fuel volume. The centerwing tank has always been part of the wing and its volume was considered. The tail tank volume was also considered, although I admitted I forgot to specifically mention it.

2. Neither you nor anyone else have provided any data indicating that the MRTT offered to USAF has less fuel volume than "standard A330s". The only data provided for the Voyager was highly suspect, showing that even at zero payload, the tanks could not be filled, a highly unlikely design. However there MAY be a simple explanation for that: OEW (Operating Empty Weight). If the Voyager has a high OEW because of modifications or onboard equipment, then it will mass out before reaching its max fuel capacity. But that seems highly unlikely. Why? Because it would mean the Voyager is flying around with over 20,000 lbs of extra weight. More llikely is that the numbers provided were erroneous.

Here's some hard data for a "standard" commercial A330s:
(Since some folks take offense at wiki data, all the data below came from Jane's, which coincidentally is exactly the same as the wiki data)

A330-300
OEW = 273.5Klbs
Fuel capacity = 175.2Klbs
MTOGW = 534.0Klbs

A330-200
OEW = 263.7Klbs
Fuel capacity = 249.8Klbs
MTOGW = 534.0Klbs

Now, lets "do the math"

"standard" A330-300
273.5 + 175.2 = 448.7 = ramp weight w/max fuel w/zero payload
534.0 - 448.7 = 85.3 = payload capacity (in Klbs) with full fuel load

"standard" A330-200 (Which is what the MRTT is based on).
263.7 + 249.8 = 513.5 = ramp weight w/max fuel w/zero payload
534.0 - 513.5 = 20.5 = payload capacity (in Klbs) with full fuel load

Imagine that!! BOTH versions can carry substantial payloads with a full fuel load, just like every ariliner ever designed. Who'd have thought?

And my goodness, when a "standard A330-200" is full of fuel, it can still carry 20.5 THOUSAND pounds of payload. I don't remember the OEW of the MRTT offered to USAF, but I'm very confident it was not 20.5Klbs heavier than a "standard A330". Indeed if memory serves it was a bit lighter.

Comical indeed.

And about that "A330 tanker expert" remark. I never claimed nor even remotely suggested that I was an "A330 tanker expert." I am however somewhat familiar with the two tankers offered to USAF and some of the criteria used to choose between the two offers. And I chose to share some of that information here. As for the various "true believers" who got their knickers in a twist.......yes, comical does indeed come to mind.