PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Major G.H. Scott, CBE, AFC
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2014, 16:16
Footless Halls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and I would love to write such a book simply to understand the man and how he and his crew (shipmates?) came to burn to death in a field outside Beauvais.

Apart from the obvious personal issues I alluded to, how did these men maintain 'currency' on big rigids? Their actual experience must have been relatively low, certainly by the time the R100 and R101 came on stream. Did they fly heavier that air aircraft, or balloons? I remember that Sir Peter Masefield plotted reports of sightings of the R101 and came to the conclusion that the ship was very precisely navigated. But was it fair, as various people implied, to say that Scott was clumsy and/or had poor judgement? Or was he simply the guy in charge who had more opportunities to take decisions - and therefore to be blame when his inexperience led him to make mistakes?

I have to say from my perspective I think Scott's judgement probably was questionable, certainly by modern standards, but in the more-or-less information vacuum we have now that may be a very unfair thing to say.