PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice Please - Back in the Saddle.
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2014, 15:38
londonblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Please - Back in the Saddle.

Having not flown for over 2 years I am in the process of re-instating my SEP rating. As part of that process I have set myself a goal. As an avid Southend United fan the goal I have set myself is to fly to an away game. I am actually based at Elstree, so the flight will be to and from Elstree.

The game I have earmarked is the away game at Exeter in April. I have therefore looked at airfields around there, and have come to the conclusion that the only airfield I can land at and have a realistic chance of getting home at a decent time is Exeter itself rather than somewhere such as Dunkeswell, unless someone can suggest somewhere more suitable. (I do have a night qualification, and intend to fly at night with an instructor to re-familiarise myself with night flying just in case I am late back.)

From what I have read from Exeter’s website, this is potentially expensive. That aside, I will also need to have taken off by 18.00. Given that the game will finish, and I could be in a taxi, at about 17.00, and the journey is about 20 minutes, is this realistic? Before the match, I intend to arrive at Exeter in plenty of time to uplift any fuel should I need to (I have a PA 28 and may well have some passengers with me). Is it reasonable to carry out the pre-flight inspection after landing, and before attending the match, rather than do that when I arrive back at the airport? When I arrive back at the airport I will therefore just have to double check that nothing has happened to the plane during the match, and then continue with the start-up procedure etc.?

Another consideration is landing back at Elstree. According to Eltree’s AIP textual information they are open until sunset, which on the day is just past 20.00. Assuming I take off by 18.00, would it be fair to expect to be landing before then? If not I will need to fill out an out of hours form. My understanding is that night flying starts 30 mins after sunset, is that correct? It would therefore give me another half an hour accounting for any unforeseen event.

Please don’t advise me to choose a different away match, as, for various reasons, this is the most suitable.

(Go easy with me, I’m after advice, and this is only my 2nd post!)