PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2014, 10:43
ScotsSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a look at the overall top line accounts for Glasgow Prestwick Airport Ltd and operation was regularly making a profit up until 2008. Since then it has nosedived and is in the present sad state as many of us sadly know. The profit years coincided with the FR boom and other PAX carriers such as Flyglobespan, Germania, Transavia, Aer Arann and latterly Wizz. There was also the Seguro charter operation. Cargo was also on up and the way the airport was managed was far more effective and efficient than it is now. It very much looks like the Infratil management have been totally unable to respond to the challenges of the recession and of the competition just up the road at GLA & across the way at EDI. I still think there is a future for a limited PAX operation but the future relies on profit from other non PAX aviation related activities and it is interesting to note that at present activity at the airfield does seem to be on the up given more military and biz jet stopovers and increased training flights. Now increased activity is one thing but profit margins are another so if anyone can point me in the direction of the actual breakdown of the accounts i'd appreciate it. Only that way can we determine whether the airfield has a future or not based on the non PAX aviation activities. I would also agree with some that giving Landmark and Greer the heave ho is fraught with danger unless deals have been done behind the scene to either buy out both their operations or that PIK have managed to attract the customer base away from Landmark and Greer. I am not holding my breath on the present lot being that entrepreneurial but I am an eternal optimist. I really think we should be looking at an airfield model based on the likes of Kemble, Le Bourget, Lulea, etc.