PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 EEC in Alternate Mode
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2014, 23:00
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-read 2 times... got what you mean now.

Still, I stand on my view... people think that an "overboost" is dangerous. The engine doesn't blow up due to a thrust limit exceedance.

Found an old thread on the subject too (so you see there are more people of my view), with a funny anecdote in it:

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/28540...rboosting.html

A few years ago, my airline had leased an additional aircraft, a 747-238B to supplement our fleet of 747s...
xxx
The airplane was reported to have JT9D-7J engines (there was a little "7J" label on top of each row of engine instruments), and we often used maximum power for takeoff, as that aircraft was used as back-up for our 747 fleet which is normally powered by JT9D-7Q engines...
xxx
If I remember well, there was an engine (nš 3) constantly showing higher EGT when we went to maximum EPR equal with the other engines... None of the crews flew that airplane often, so we did not mind. Was probably for a year or even more time... Until one day...
xxx
Maintenance found out that engine nš 3 was actually a JT9D-7AH... So that engine got "overboosted" (if you use that vocabulary) for hundreds of takeoffs at -7J EPR settings... Eventually, we got a -7J on that position, but it demonstrates that some engines can take a lot of punishment of the "overboosting" nature.
xxx
Makes me smile, I know that a JT9D-7AH is actually a JT9D-3A that has been upgraded to JT9D-7A standards. Must have been a very "old" engine near retirement, yet it survived all these years, giving 50,000 lbs of thrust for takeoff, when only rated for 46,150 lbs thrust...
xxx