PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2014, 18:41
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke, mirrors and chump change..

Deadly boring warning, just couldn't let it slide by. I expect there are those who would call me a cynic, or at least not a troo bloo believer in CASA speak, but even the most gooey eyed Casaphile deconstructing the statement below, even using CASA applied 'logic' would have pause.

Between 1 July and 30 September 2014, CASA had 13 instances of misuse with 11 instances being self-reported and the remaining two being identified through CASA's assurance processes. The misuse transactions ranged from $2 to $622.00 with the average total being $152.43.
"Between 1 July and 30 September 2014, CASA had 13 instances of misuse": that's July, August and September this year (three months or a quater for the purist) which is 4.333' incidents per month, so a reasonable forecast of 51.96 incidents a year, :: one a week.

"with 11 instances being self-reported". You notice that the 'terms of use' are not specified and there is no yardstick to measure the 'legitimate' uses of the card against the 'illegitimate' which is passing strange enough, but who were the 'volunteers' who so selflessly owned up? and why did they feel they could use 'the card' illegitimately in the first instance?, perhaps it's those naughty suffer-market scanners, or McDonalds don't take Mastercard.

"and the remaining two being identified through CASA's assurance processes". Is it for this useful purpose, (like the DAMP), we pay a 441 strong 'corporate services' outfit to hunt down these perpetrators of credit card misuse. It seems highly possible, going on CASA numbers that it costs more to 'audit' the loss than the small transactions acknowledged cost.

"The misuse transactions ranged from $2 to $622.00 with the average total being $152.43". Tricky numbers there, one $150 misuse a week for the year = $7920.26. The $622 'misuse' is probably a genuine 'Whoops'; it's the little ones that are a worry; who uses a credit card to buy a $2.00 bus ticket?, it costs more to use the card. But a multitude of between $20 and $50 touches soon add up and pay the golf club membership, so essential to Can'tberra living.

I don't care about the money so much as I care that the CASA actually believe that the Senators or even Joe Public are naive enough to actually believe this rubbish or dopey enough to accept it. What is needed? – well the Auditor General through CASA, ASA and perhaps even ATSB would be a start – a goodwill gesture if you like; now that would be of interest in the 'self reporting' stakes.

No wonder Terry didn't sign the missive; I'm sure I wouldn't have either...