PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swapping a Blu-Ray Player for a BluRay Writer
Old 5th Nov 2014, 15:54
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Bushfiva

is it not working or something? Your drive writes to BD-E and BD-RE quite happily
It writes fine to DVDs both + and - and double-layer DVDs too, but just doesn't write to Blu-rays and I don't think it's designed to do this - hence my question. It does however, play Blu-ray films superbly well - I just wish it would write Blu-ray discs too.

The easy answer seems to be for an external Blu-ray writer, but given that my laptop is a few years old and only has USB2 sockets will USB2 pass data fast enough to write Blu-rays successfully?

Terrain Safe

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks as though the Samsung SN-506BB (6X) Blu-ray Writer Slim SATA Internal (Black) you recommended may do the job, but there is another factor that has entered the equation in that it looks as if it will be a major task to gain access to the existing optical drive bay, it doesn't have an easy screw-in panel covering the drive as it does for the hard drive and I'm doubtful whether my technical capability stretches to dismantling the case of my laptop, held in as it is by a plethora of screws.

In the meantime any suggestions as to a good external Blu-ray writer?