PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin recruiting soon...
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2014, 08:56
beatrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sigh.

To: No-one in particular..

Sure it's probably the wrong place, and it's probably been answered somewhere in the depths of prune, but there seems to be a large number of crews that are so disillusioned with their careers/lives that they go out of their way to stop people getting into the aviation industry and paint it in the worst possible light.

Most of the posts I read are so dead-set against newbies getting into flying that, given 20-25 years, we'd have barely any pilots whatsoever!

From the outside I'm sure it looks rosier, it always does. But from the point of view of a desk pusher, with a go-nowhere job, many careers look rosy. Especially having spent formative years in the industry, and now, through redundancy, sadly away from it.

If it's that bad, how come so many of you are still doing it - I'm sure some of those skills you've learnt would be useful somewhere else. and on the plus side, it'd allow some of those people that you are always decrying about wanting to get into the industry to actually get the jobs they so dearly wish for.

It really is a question - I'm interested to learn why you're all so demotivated. I guess you could ask the same question to Nurses, Firemen, Teachers - another group of people who must know what the job is like, long hours, pension fund holes, shi**y management, goalpost moving etc, before they get into it and yet still find the requirement to moan about it constantly.

Sorry. it just frustrates me. I'm sure there must be a huge number of people who absolutely love their flying careers - it's just for some reason they don't post here. My old man used to love his job as an FE, albeit finished through retirement - mind you, he did quite often say it wasn't the industry it once was.. mind you - is any?

And for the record, I definitely don't agree with being charged £109k for a licence. lets go back to the old way of the airline paying for it and being bonded to them for 7-10 years whilst the bond is paid back on a reduced salary...... Surely a win-win situation - unless the airline goes bust, in which case it's just a win situation.