PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2014, 03:14
ImaginedByGod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
capslock1, you're in nam? Who do you fly for? I used to be a Nam guy..

Personally, I think the hiring period is kind of . They hire whenever they need someone. Generally I'd say if there was such thing as a hiring period, it happens around Feb, March, April. However, the company I worked for recently lost a few people in August. I would say that the worst time to go would be during mid summer (northern hemisphere) as the spots are generally filled since that is usually the busiest time of the year. Though strangely, I flew my a$$ off last October. The companies want to be well stocked for summer, and generally try to have you online by the beginning of june. This means that the end of april would probably be the latest they're going to hire in large numbers with the occasional 2-3 people after that.

The mistake James made was that his time was too high. Yes, too high. Most of the companies (excluding west air and bay air) expect you and want you gone by around 1,000 hours unless there are other planes (caravans, twins) that you may have the opportunity to fly. In other words, come to build time, have fun, and drink cheap beer with good people. If you get offered a position on another aircraft, decide if that is what will be the best for your career. I left after reaching 1,300 because I didn't want to fly in weather in old broken planes that all happen to be grounded now. Thank god they're replacing the fleet soon... Granted, it was fun while it lasted. The experience you get in these countries is invaluable, and will be looked at very highly by other operators around the world.

Lastly, when a new guy would show up, we kinda "knew" who would and wouldn't make it. My advice, go to the Chameleon. Lots of guys flying there still go to the bar there. Make some friends and ask for some HONEST advice about your character. If you're a rich kid looking to travel and don't really care, the operators can sense that...NEXT. If you go and you're goal oriented, good at making friends, and can hold your own when it comes to drinking, you'll be fine.....oh and being a good pilot helps too.

Last edited by ImaginedByGod; 5th Nov 2014 at 03:58.