PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 C first deck landing
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2014, 02:08
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Orca: Arrestor cables and catapults.

I've read that these new carriers are certainly capable of being converted for CTOL aircraft, but will they be?

I understand UAV's are a possible reason for conversion, however I mean for manned fast jets.

Courtney, I'm not suggesting that the RN should replace the current F-35B's for this technology to the C variant, that would be a complete waste of time and money. However, and I speak purely for fast jets, what other aircraft could the Navy use if they implemented this technology in to the new carriers? F/A-18E/F? EA-18G?

It would be nice to think so, although I suspect by the time arrestor cables and catapults are fully operational on the ships (assuming they are even converted to operate CTOL aircraft), the production of those two aircraft would have ceased long ago.

I believe the new generation of U.S Navy carriers will have electromagnetic catapults. So would they be an option for the RN?
Typhoon, a quick recap on the two new carriers for the UK and their air arm:
UK was not fully decided on whether the new carriers would be v/stol or catobar carrriers, ie handling v/stol aircraft or cat and trap equipped aircraft. So the carriers were designed to have one or the other, with weight and space allowance for the heavier and space consuming launch and recovery gear. This allowed design of the carrier to proceed while the debate and study of what aircraft would be ordered. It was not a done deal that it would be what we know now as the F-35. Other aircraft were under consideration besides the JSF: F-18, Rafale, Carrier capable eurofighter/typhoon or Grippen, new development, son of sea harrier, etc.

It was later decided that the JSF would be the aircraft. Now to decide which version? V/stol or catobar? F-35 won the JSF award and had 3 versions, with the vstol B and carrier C.

There were pros and cons for each variant. The UK chose catobar and proceedeed down this track for a few years as the F-35C. Later the choice was reversed, and it was decided that the uk would go with the v/stol F-35B. The ships were not fully built at that time, so no major alteration was required. A main reason for reverting to the B was citing training requirements of air crew as carrier arrested landings require much higher levels of initial and recertification training. A smart man once said "easier to stop, then land..." The costs and crew requirements on the carrier are also lesss with a vstol carrier.

So it has been decided that the new carriers will be v/stol carriers. Ski jump and no arresting system. I do not believe this will change unless the B entirely fails for some reason or is cancelled. Changing the ships and version of the F-35 now would be disasterous politically and financially.

The ships COULD be changed to answer your thoughts, remember space and weight were reserved, but would be a major change now that the ships are well along in their build. The airwing could include all the aircraft originally considered above: hook equipped F-35C, F-18E/F, Rafale, Sea Typhoon or Grippen, or very unlikely a new design. Could also now consider E-2 and F-18G and new arrested UAV's.

US indicated that electomagnetic catapult would be available to the UK, but there was and is still some risk with that. Conventional steam catapults were favored in most uk studies if the new carriers were to have catapults.

I see adding catapults and arresting gear at this point to expand the options of the airwing as a non-starter. The choice has been made, and it is v/stol. Hope this helps.