PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Galatic Spaceship Two down in the Mojave.
Old 5th Nov 2014, 00:03
PrivtPilotRadarTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enlarged the photos. One feather is clearly visible in the debris trail, along with one of the delta wings. The other delta wing appeared to be still attached, and the fuselage largely intact. Something large was beside the fuselage- N2O tank? The rocket motor (judging by the glow) was some distance ahead. A white cloud surrounded the fuselage and trailed it. The fuselage was upside down and going backwards. I believe the camera went upside down as it tracked the ship going over, so the ship is simply falling, though in the photo it looks like it is going upwards. The trailing cloud does not look high velocity. Based on that photo, I believe pieces came off, but it didn't "explode" nor did it disintegrate. I will be very interested to hear what the pilot has to say, and how he got out. Regarding space tourism- Into Thinner Air? Rich people die like flies on Everest, why not in a sub-orbital flight if they wish? Michael Alsbury died like Scott Fischer on Everest- a leader doing something dangerous that he loved. Happens all the time, keep it in perspective. Four out of five people just died off the coast here when a wave flipped their boat. They were sport fishing for crabs, not wearing life jackets. People are not going to stop crabbing because of it, hope Branson and Scaled Composites press on too.