PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with stall warning horn
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2014, 23:24
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no harm flying the aircraft in 1G straight, ball in the middle flight with the stall warning sounding - it's a stall warning. If the plane is actually stalling, it'll probably stop flying soon, so if you're flying, and indeed accelerating, you're fine. Staying in ground effect is wise, if you can.

Think of this entirely differently, a wing would like to lift the aircraft when the AoA is just right, then increase airspeed at that same AoA, and it's going to climb happily. So, as early as possible, lift the nose. As early as you can after that establish that ideal AoA. In a normal C150, you can get to that AoA after about 100 feet of ground roll.

So you're rolling down the runway with the nose held a few degrees up, and the plane is accelerating. Hold that attitude no matter what. It is very likely that you'll get a stall warning - keep the ball in the middle, and hold that attitude. When it's ready, it'll fly. Hold that attitude! You'll find that the stall warning has ended, and the plane is accelerating more into a climb. Likely now, you'll have to lower the nose a bit.

Would you have believed that you could takeoff without "rotating"!?! I think I have just described a Cessna POH soft field takeoff.

Don't worry about hearing a stall warning, if you have the aircraft under control, and you're headed toward somewhere safe, in controlled flight. During "Vref - 5" testing, I have had to fly entire circuits with all speeds flown 5 knots slower than the specified speed for that phase of flight. I heard the stall warning quite a bit - cautious, but no problem - unless the engine quits!!! THEN, you would like bags of speed, unless you're 6" off the runway, with lots ahead of you.