PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sidearms
Thread: RAF Sidearms
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2014, 21:45
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 9mm was a peach. I once had to approach an RQMS at Vitez garage and request a resupply of a mixture of ammunition. He smirked at his mates and asked me what had happened to the rounds I needed replacing. I told him we had been in an incident in the ZOS at White Fang (CAS mates might remember that one.. near IP Portugal maybe?) east of Sanski Most.

He put his feet on his desk and asked me for the empty cases. I had had enough at that point and told him that if he wanted them that badly, he was quite welcome to borrow my torch and get off his warm arse and go into the minefield and look for them. Martin Bell was there, and one of his camera team volunteered footage of the contact. That seemed to do it. I had to write out and sign a lost kit form though.

He got his own back on New Year's Eve. When I later approached him for a resupply of stuff like toilet paper, he asked how many was in the team. 4, I said. He nodded thoughtfully. Calculating that each man would only need to ablute once a day, over the course of a week that meant we only needed half a roll. He counted the individual squares out too.. seperately.

He smiled at me, I smiled at him and life moved on.. it was the little things. Happy days!